Violent Behaviors and Active ShootersPage address: http://mnsu7700france.info.mnsu.edu/security/emergencies/violentbehavior.html
Weapon on Campus
- Immediately call 911 and/or University Security 507-389-2111
- Wait for police/security to arrive.
- Do not confront the person with the weapon.
- No effort should be made to intervene.
- Run: If safe to do so, get away from the threat. Move quickly and get as far away as you can.
- Hide: If you cannot run from the threat, hide, preferably in a locked or barricaded space. Silence phones and turn off lights. Prepare to fight.
- Fight: If you are being attacked, or are about to be attacked, fight back with all of your energy. Attack with improvised weapons or throw objects. Keep moving.
- Call 911 or University Security at 507-389-2111 if safe to do so.
- If hostage-taker is unaware of your presence, do not intervene.
- Call 911.
- Stay on the phone with police if requested and safe to do so.
- Do not enter the hostage scene and advise others not to enter the area.
- Follow police directions upon arrival at the scene.
Hostage- If You Are Taken Hostage
- Follow the instructions of the hostage taker.
- Do not panic. Calm others if they are present.
- Be respectful to the hostage taker.
- Ask permission to speak and do not argue.
It is imperative that all faculty, staff, and students be proactive in the prevention of potentially violent situations. Members of the university community are encouraged to report all incidents of threats, physical assaults, violent encounters, etc., to the Mankato Police Department and/or University Security.
Shelter in Place
In the event of an active shooter or violent incident University officials may notify the campus community to shelter in place. This means to seek immediate refuge and remain there during an emergency.
- Remain sheltered until you are advised it is safe to leave by emergency personnel.
- If safe to do so, go to www.mnsu.edu/alerts for the latest information.
- Turn off lights and silence phones.
- Block entry to your hiding place and if possible lock the door.
- Call 911 or University Security at 507-389-2111.
Lock downs cannot be implemented on campus. Our facilities and their use by large variety of students, staff and visitors do not make lock-down procedure practical. In situations where a high school may call for a lock-down procedure, our campus may call for shelter in place.