Fire ProceduresPage address: http://mnsu7700france.info.mnsu.edu/security/emergencies/fireprocedures.html
- Should you see or smell smoke, immediately pull the nearest fire alarm, leave the building, and call the Mankato Fire Department by calling 911 from a safe area. Be prepared to give the following information:
- Location of fire
- Building and room number (if known)
- Your name and telephone number
- Stay on the line until the dispatcher releases you
- The person reporting the fire should remain in the vicinity outside the building to supply information, upon request, to the Mankato Fire Department.
- Always take fire alarms seriously. When a fire alarm has been activated, everyone is to evacuate the building immediately.
- NOTE: Persons who do not leave the building when a fire alarm is sounding may be subject to disciplinary action and/or possible criminal charges.
- Evacuate all rooms, closing all doors to confine the fire. Do not lock doors. Check doors for heat before opening. Open doors slowly and check for smoke.
- Fire doors leading into the stairwell landing should be closed.
- Do not attempt to put out a fire if you are endangering your own safety or the safety of others.
- Do not use elevators. Power may fail causing the elevator to stop between floors or elevator doors may open onto the fire floor.
- Disabled persons who are unable to move down the stairwells should move to a stairwell. Caution should be used as to not block traffic.
- Immediately notify rescue personnel of any person left in the building along with their locations.
NOTE: If you become trapped in a building during a fire and a window is available, place an article of clothing (shirt, coat, etc.) outside the window as a marker for rescue personnel. If there is not a window, stay near the floor where the air will be less toxic. Seal up the cracks around the door using pieces of clothing or whatever is available. Shout at regular intervals to alert emergency personnel of your location.
CAUTION: Building fire alarms may stop ringing. It they stop, do not return to the building unless notified by the Mankato Fire Department or MSU Security.
Know the location of fire alarm pull stations, fire extinguishers, and exits.